In this week's blog post I wanted to address the reasoning behind our practice name.
INNATE LIVING, by definition, means living in a way that promotes the maximum expression of the innate intelligence of your body. Essentially, it means living in a way that is congruent to the maximum expression of health, healing, and vitality in your body. ahhhh... so thats why! :)
Now...I am going to give you The 5 Essentials of Health. These are the five most important facets of your health regime that will ensure the optimal expression of health.
(1) Proper Exercise --> "If you don't use it you lose it." Movement is necessary in the body to stimulate oxygenation of the cells and tissues of the body. Did you know cancer breeds on low oxygen levels in the body? Exercising at least 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes increases oxygenation, stimulates the production of endorphins and other "happy hormones" in the body, increases muscle mass which increases your metabolism, and overall promotes a leaner, stronger, happier, healthier you...so get moving!
(2) Proper Nutrition --> "You are what you eat" ... Literally! Your body is in a constant state of degeneration and regeneration. What do you think your body uses to regenerate...you got it! Whatever building blocks you put in- aka food. Another blog will be devoted to proper nutrition, but to keep it simple, these are basic changes that should be made to everyone's diet: Decrease gluten in the body (a common food allergen found in primarily wheat products that increase inflammation in the gut and body) - our bodies were not built to digest grains (a common misconception), reduce dairy - what other animal drinks milk from another animal group?... exactly....a great and healthy alternative to cow milk is almond milk. Increase omega 3's in the body - switch to extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil (these are healthy fats). Lastly, make sure you are eating tons of greens (spinach, kale, etc); fruits; eat lean meats such as turkey and chicken; nuts such as almonds, cashews, walnuts; and eat as little sugar as possible (also increases inflammation in the body and breeds diseases such as cancer and diabetes). One last important note: Eat local and organic whenever possible. This reduces the amount of pesticides in the food, a known carcinogen.
(3) Proper Rest --> Sleep is crucial in the body. Sleep is when the body regenerates, processes the day's happenings, and rejuvenates. Did you know a person will die from lack of sleep before he/she will die from starvation? Lack of sleep has been shown to lead to weight gain, depression, lack of concentration, and neural degeneration.
(4) Positive Mental Attitude --> "I think, therefore I AM." Truer words could not be spoken. Your daily mental jargon not only affects your mood and those around you, it literally affects the production of specific hormones and enzymes in the body. Think positive, be an optimist, compliment yourself on a daily basis and those around you, smile even if you are not happy, and believe that you already are an incredible being on this planet!
(5) Proper Nerve Supply --> The nervous system controls and coordinates every single function in the body. Without proper nerve supply to the body, the brain will not effectively communicate to the body and the body will not effectively communicate to the brain...leading to faulty bodily functions and ultimately faulty health. The brain communicates to the body via the spinal cord and nerves encased by the spine. Make sure you are seeing your local Chiropractor to ensure a properly aligned spine for optimal nerve supply and an optimal expression of innate health and healing.
I hope this blog proves beneficial to you. Please feel free to comment. Until next week, LIVE INNATELY!
Dr. Melissa Cruz
Innate Living Chiropractic
3151 SW 27th Ave Coconut Grove, FL 33133